Established in the mid-1800’s to serve the Irish Catholics who were building the railroad between Louisville and Cincinnati, Immaculate Conception Parish now serves Catholics of all ethnic backgrounds in Oldham, Henry and Trimble counties. The first church was located on North Street (now Madison Street) between First and Second Avenue. It was a large church with seating for 300. In 1900, the railroad moved operations to Louisville and most of the workers moved with it. The first church was torn down and a smaller one was erected on the same site. It was narrow and tall and the seats could accommodate about 60 people.
On July 22, 1950, the cornerstone was laid for a new church and school. Immaculate Conception remained a mission church of St. Aloysius in Pewee Valley until July 24, 1962 when it was elevated to a parish. In 1962, the parish consisted of 65 Catholic families and 63 children were enrolled in the parish school.
The first pastor was Reverend William M. Diersen. Pastors also included: Rev. Ivo Cecil (1966-76), Rev. Leon Spalding (1976-82), Rev. Joseph M. Miller (1982-84), Rev. Joseph H. Voor (1982-95), Rev. Michael D. Lott (1995-99), Rev. J. Mark Spalding (1999-2011) and Rev. Anthony L. Chandler (2011 to present).
With rapid growth in Oldham County over the years, many additions and building projects have taken place: 4 new classrooms in 1979 and the Marian Center in 1994. A new complex was dedicated in 2004 which includes meeting spaces, parish offices, and a beautiful church with a seating capacity of 1,100.
In recent years, the cost of educating children in the Catholic school environment has been steadily increasing, making it more difficult for individual parish schools to keep tuition costs at an attainable level for the communities they serve. The eighth grade class of 2007 was the last to graduate from Immaculate Conception School. Beginning with the 2007-08 academic year the decision was made to regionalize the parish school with the parish school from Mother of Good Counsel to form Saint Mary Academy. The school was built in Eastern Jefferson County and fulfilled a common vision of creating a first class Catholic school while preserving the sense of community and family atmosphere.